Professor John Drew
Professor John Drew MA AM MBA Hon FIL
Jean Monnet Professor of European Business and Management
Phone +44 207 487 7464
Professor Drew has lived and worked in the UK, Continental Europe and the Middle East. Educated at Oxford, the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy and the London Business School, he was a UK diplomat in Paris, Kuwait and Bucharest, Director of Executive Programmes and Marketing at the London Business School, Director of International Corporate Affairs at Rank Xerox and Director of European Affairs at Touche Ross International. Subsequently he was the Representative of the European Commission in the UK.
He has held visiting academic appointments at the Universities of Oxford, London, the Open University and Durham. Author of several books and articles, he has directed, developed and lectured at many conferences, in-company seminars and business schools on European Business, Management and Personal Development.
- 1993 – present President and subsequently Editor of EUROTAS, the European Transpersonal Association.
- 1987 – 1993 Representative of the European Commission in the UK.
- 1984 – 1986 Director of European Affairs, Touche Ross International.
- 1979 – 1984 Director of International Corporate Affairs, Rank Xerox.
- 1979 – 1984 CBI Europe Committee.
- 1980 – 1984 Deputy Chairman of American Chamber of Commerce Europe Committee.
- 1973 – 1979 Director of Marketing and Executive Programmes, London Business School.
- 1961 – 1973 HM Diplomatic Service.
- First Secretary, Bucharest.
- Second Secretary, Kuwait and Middle East Centre for Arabic Studies, Lebanon.
- Third Secretary, Paris Embassy.
- 1955 – 1957 National Service Officer with the Somerset Light Infantry (UK and Cyprus).
- 1957 – 1960 Oxford University, St John’s College. MA
- 1960 – 1961 Tufts University, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, USA - AM in International Law and Economics. Fulbright and English Speaking Union Fellowships
- 1964 – 1965 Middle East Centre for Arabic Studies, Lebanon, Civil Service Intermediate Certificate in Arabic
- 1970 – 1971 Sloan Fellow of the London Business School
- 1994 – 1996 CTP, London. Two year Foundation Course - Certificate of Transpersonal Psychology
- 1996 – 2003 Visiting Professor of European Business Management, University of Durham Business School. Director and then Chair of the Durham Institute
- 1992 – 1999 Open University, Visiting Professor of European Management, Open Business School
- 1993 Honorary MBA University of Northumbria
- 1987 – 1993 Visiting Professor of European Business, the Management School, Imperial College, London
- 1982 – 1986 Associate Fellow, Templeton College, Oxford
Other Appointments and Activities
- 1978 – European Government Business Relations Council
- 1993 – 2007 Trustee, the Thomson Foundation
- 1993 – 1999 President of the Institute of Linguists
- 1996 – 2003 Non-Executive Director, Change Group International
- 1995 – Council Member of the Centre for Transpersonal Therapy
- 1996 – 2004 President of EUROTAS – The European Transpersonal Association
- 1993 – 1995 Director and Deputy Chair Enterprise Support Group Ltd
- 1987 – 1992 Honorary Editor European Business Journal
- 1975 – 1979 Specialist Advisor to House of Lords EC Scrutiny Committee on Trade and Treaties
- (2004) Ways through the Wall. Approaches to Citizenship in an Interconnected World, Lydney: First Stone Publishing ISBN 1 904439-54-3 (editor and contributor).
- (1995, 1997 and 1999) Readings in International Enterprise. London: Routledge and International Thomson Business Press. ISBN 0-415-12316 and ISBN1-86152-528-1.
- (1992) Doing Business in Europe 3rd edition: Whurr Publishers ISBN 1- 870332-80-6 Published also in Spanish and Portuguese.
- (1988 – 1992) Europe 1992; Developing an Active Company Approach to the European Market, London and Paris: Whurr IBN 1-870332-10-5. (with Drew)
- (1985) Networking in Organisations; the Rank Xerox Experiment with P Judkins and M West, Gower ISBN 0-566-02599-X. (with others)
- (2000) "How the European Union works and how it affects business", European Business Journal, Volume 12, 2000: Whurr.
- (1999) "Is it possible to manage the future?" in Are we forgetting something?, Dublin, Veritas Publications ISBN 1-85390-472-4.
- (1980) "Putting the European Community in the Curriculum", in Breaking Down Barriers, Gower ISBN 0 566 021226.
- Towards European Economic Recovery in the 1980s, Editor and Contributor to the Albert/Ball Report for the European Parliament.