"The MSc Oil & Gas Trade Management programme at Regent’s College London has been well designed to equip students for a career trading in the oil and gas world. It covers the background to the industry and the markets that every player needs to be familiar with, and offers a grounding in the essential commercial features of the downstream world. This syllabus is highly recommended for a person who seeks to work in this sector of the industry.”
Stephen Hodge, former CFO - Royal Dutch Shell
"It is encouraging to see a programme which aims specifically to train more young professionals for the vital roles necessary to sustain the energy industry worldwide. The broad scope of the course which covers such modules as the financial and contractual challenges of the trading business and also the necessary attention to safety and environmental challenges reveals several options for future careers in this vital industry.”
Lord Simon of Highbury
MSc Oil & Gas Trade Management
New for January 2014* - Apply Now
Today’s energy sector is in a continuous state of change, requiring talented, highly trained individuals who can demonstrate leadership, risk management and strategic thinking in managing complex business situations.
The new MSc Oil & Gas Trade Management is unique in the UK as it focuses on the ‘downstream’ side of the industry - the management of trade in oil and gas products.
The programme has been designed in response to industry demand, with input from senior industry executives at companies such as Shell, BP, Petrobras, ICAP and Tullett Prebon.
Download course leaflet as a PDF
This programme aims to produce graduates who are able to work effectively in the energy trading sector, or work closely with traders of such commodity products.
Successful completion of the programme will enable you to:
- Identify and evaluate the economic and political factors influencing the global oil and gas industry
- Analyse the structure of the commodities markets and understand price formation and the pricing of risk management
- Understand the legal and regulatory framework of physical trade and shipping
- Develop a critical awareness of the uncertainties and current issues in oil and gas markets
- Respond to the social and ethical issues prevalent in the industry
- Be aware of the latest research and practice, and use a range of numerical, IT and communication skills to interpret data and present solutions
- Lead groups and teams
- Conduct effective negotiations in a variety of contexts
- Develop entrepreneurial flair, creativity and an innovative approach
- There is an emphasis on the practical application of knowledge, with use of the Thomson-Reuters electronic dealing platform to conduct a variety of projects based on real data
- Strong industry links, with real-life case studies on the energy sector and highly prestigious guest lecturers
- A final project in which you will undertake a live company brief to solve real business problems and provide analysis and solutions to real business problems.
- The option for additional evening language study - the three most useful languages in the oil and gas industry are Chinese, Arabic and Russian and are among nine language options available
This programme will enhance your employability by giving you the practical, analytical and problem-solving skills needed for success in a growth industry that offers opportunities worldwide.
It will prepare you for a career trading in oil and gas markets, or any organisation where energy is a key variable.
You will be equipped for a variety of management positions within any industry exposed to energy, on both the supply and demand side.
The negotiation and leadership skills you acquire will enable you to respond effectively to complex business situations and develop as an entrepreneur in identifying and responding to new business opportunities and environmental challenges.
*Subject to validation
This programme is recognised by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI), giving graduates full CMI membership, providing recognition and endorsement from the UK’s prestigious, professional body for managers and leaders. Find out more.